Re: [O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Scien

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Sciencess
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 21:38:16 -0600

Hi Vikas

On 2014-05-13 at 12:52, Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> wrote:

>> You mentioning pandoc as one of the tools to use made me finally sit
>> down and look at it.  I am very glad I did.  Just today, I started
>> working on a paper that has to be in Word format in the end.  This is
>> always annoying but especially when the paper has mathematics in it.
>
> I have been totally addicted to Org-mode, and find it absurd to write
> in Word. On the other hand, none of my collaborators use LaTeX or
> Org. For a long time, I produced PDFs, circulated them, and then in
> the end, when others had to work on the document, bit my lip and
> converted it painfully to Word, manually fixing all LaTeX-specific
> stuff.
>
> Pandoc is a treat and clearly the way to go, at least until
> development of odt exporter catches up.

Your post gave me hope that Org -> LaTeX -> docx (via pandoc) would work
for me. It does not. The equations do not show up, among many other
issues.

I'm using Org 8.2.6, pandoc 1.12.3, Pages.app on OS X 10.9 and Word 2011
(v. 14.2.0).

I use pandoc like this:

pandoc -f latex -t docx test.tex -o test.docx

I see Org has exported my "W m^{-2}" as "W m$^{\text{-2}}$", which is
not what I would expect in LaTeX. In OS X Pages.app viewing the docx
this appears as "W m". In Word it shows up either as just "-2" or "W
m-2". In Word, the Math shows up with each character as a box (the math
is just missing in Pages). In Word the figures are missing (they appear
in Pages).

Can you clarify your Org -> LaTeX -> Docx workflow? It would be nice to
be able to do this.

Thanks,

  -k.