[O] Mac OS Alias file links

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: [O] Mac OS Alias file links
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 09:03:20 +0200

I use links to files quite often in Org Mode. Either by C-l file: or
drag-and-drop (with smart-dnd). But when files move, the links break.

BibDesk solves this by storing Mac OS Aliases to files. Then if files
move, the alias still works. BibDesk actually stores more:

> The Bdsk-File entries store Mac OS aliases, which contain a file ID
> and absolute path. Bdsk-File entries also store a relative path, which
> is used if the alias is broken.

Is there a way to add this feature to Org Mode? Yes, obviously, since
this is emacs and Org Mode. But has anyone already done this? Any advice
where to start?

Thanks,

  -k.