Re: [O] Babel should not work in the subtree marked as not exported

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Babel should not work in the subtree marked as not exported
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 13:59:57 -0600

> Sorry for being unclear here.  I wanted to propose different
> behaviour for TAGs (lets say :noexport:) and the COMMENT keyword.
> I am perfectly fine with :noexport: only prohibiting export but
> still allowing evaluation.
>
> But I propose that COMMENT be more treated like a comment, so more
> like a shorthand for commenting out that subtree using '# '.
> That way, evaluation would be disabled.
>
> I see two benefits:
> 1. It serves the use-case where one wants a subtree to be not
>    exported and not evaluated.
> 2. It more resembles Orgs idea of comments.
>
> And since the other use case (no export but still evaluation) is
> still very well supported via :noexport: there would be not too
> much loss.
>
> (IIRC, the COMMENT keyword was close to removal from Orgs syntax
> recently.  So, why not add some real additional functionality to
> it?)
>
> WDYT?

This sounds like a good compromise to me.  As you say, this should
easily and visually support both use cases and is intuitive.  I've not
touched the export machinery myself, so I'll leave the implementation to
Nicolas but I definitely support this approach.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte