Re: [O] org-agenda-do-date-late and emacs freeze

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] org-agenda-do-date-late and emacs freeze
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 22:25:32 -0600

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> Igor Sosa Mayor <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a way to debug what is happening after pressing some key
>> combination.
>>
>> I have the problem that in the agenda view when I press M-+ to run the
>> function org-agenda-do-date-late, sometimes (and this is the problme: it
>> happens randomly, not always), emacs gets freezed and I have to press
>> C-g to cancel. Interestingly when I press C-g I see the date on the
>> right side updated and everything continues working OK...
>
> Does it happen when you have filtered the agenda? If so, then I can
> confirm this bug...

> I previously documented the issue in this thread:
>
>  - http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/75288

AFAICT, there is something of a ping-pong game going on between multiple
bugs whose solutions conflict with each other.

1. The bug was first introduced with the following commit:

commit fafb5f3429c41cba1eddb9fc78d9f9e0980acbe2
Author: Bastien Guerry <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon Feb 11 14:56:38 2013 +0100

    org-agenda.el: Fix bug when displaying a temporary overlay

    * org-agenda.el (org-agenda-schedule, org-agenda-deadline):
    Cosmetic changes.
    (org-agenda-show-new-time): Fix bug when displaying a
    temporary overlay with the scheduled/deadline information.

    Thanks to Thomas Morgan for reporting this bug and testing the patch.

...which was a response to the following bug...

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65538/match=agenda

2. The bug was solved by the following patch.

commit 7f9d0688d47140bcac7bea627474802adfce31ee
Author: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Aug 31 15:44:34 2013 +0200

    Fix cursor movement to a specific column

    * lisp/org-compat.el (org-move-to-column): Turn off invisibility stuff
    for moving the cursor to a column.

    Pathc by Nick Docks

3. However, the problem resurfaced with the following patch, which
effectively reversed the previous fix.

commit 2911965bfef9072a3031d48dfe2ea50bcb3ff9df