Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 23:54:49 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

> As I said, the "end of line" is not a structural unit. Implementing that
> "feature", which, I must admit, I find cheesy, back will be fragile and
> confusing.
>
> For example, white spaces after an object still belong to an
> object.

Well, this is counterintuitive.

> So in the following case:
>
>   [[http://orgmode.org]]   [[http://duckduckgo.com]]
>
> using C-c C-o between the two links will open the first one, but there:
>
>   [[http://orgmode.org]] and [[http://duckduckgo.com]]
>
> C-c C-o on the "and" will open the second one.

This current behavior is surprising too here, and only predictable for
users who know that whitespaces are part of the previous object -- i.e.
nobody.

> Also in the following example:
>
>   [fn:1] This is some text [[http://orgmode.org]]
>
> C-c C-o on "some" currently triggers `org-footnote-action' since point
> is in a footnote definition.

Which is counterintuitive too!

> But with the behaviour you describe, it would be hard to predict
> whether it should move to the link or still open the footnote.

Let me describe the behavior I favor:

  C-c C-o opens the link at point (i.e. "the link that the cursor is
  visibly on") or the next link on the same line.

  When on a headline and if there are several links on the same line,
  prompt the user for which one she wants to visit.

I find it very simple and predictable.

> There are many other examples. This "convenient feature" is
> unpredictable and not worth implementing back (not counting the fact
> that it wouldn't be totally trivial to do properly).

Sorry, but the current behavior feels just too wrong.

--
 Bastien