Re: [O] Quotes for LaTeX export

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Quotes for LaTeX export
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:44:01 +0100

Hi Laurens,

Laurens Van Houtven <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> This is exactly the reasons why I don't want to use csquotes:
>>
>>      \enquote{something}.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting the syntax is bad?

I'm suggesting it makes adds noise that makes the source even harder
to read than it is.  With Emacs you could of course make it look
pretty again. . .

>> But check for instance org-latex-tables-booktabs, which makes optional
>> support for booktabs.  That kind of support for csquote is of course
>> OK.  One reason I'd not use this is that the quotes exported to HTML
>> and LaTeX are no longer in sync.  Which is why I'd rather see
>> customization through a user smart quote alist.
>>
> Okay, that's a fair argument. It would require consistent configuration in
> more than one place, unless (I think?) Org's LaTeX export automagically
> use/configure Babel.

To use Babel add ("AUTO" "babel" nil) to org-latex-packages-alist or
-default-package-alist.  AUTO is replaced with the correct language.

>> Org already has semantic quote characters, namely '"' and "'".
>
> Right: I'm talking about TeX and not org-mode there. The semantic way to
> say "this is quoted" is csquotes and \enquote.

But this is the Org-ML.  I assume you're interested in using Org for
producing your tex files?

> Are those code points U+0022 QUOTATION MARK and U+0027 APOSTROPHE? (I am
> not an org-mode expert. I'm assuming org-mode does operate on code points,
> not bytes?).

On my computer I produce the quotation with S-2.  On most layouts
these are the most straightforward quoting characters.  If you use
smartquotes they are exported according to your language.

>>    \documentclass{article}
>>    \usepackage{fontspec}
>>    \addfontfeatures{Mapping=}
>>    \addfontfeatures{Ligatures=}
>>    \begin{document}
>>    ``test''
>>    \end{document}
>>
>> Could you share a snip that reproduces your problem?

> That appears to compile correctly on my machine as well. Perhaps there is a
> discrepancy between how I'm building the tex file and how org is building
> the intermediary tex file. I will investigate :)

I was not able to produce non-working files via Org either. . .  But I
didn't test from emacs -q.

–Rasmus

--
C is for Cookie