Re: [O] #+include doesn't export anything?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] #+include doesn't export anything?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 00:49:32 +0800

On Monday, January 27, 2014 12:36:22 AM HKT, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
What happens if you call (org-export-expand-include-keyword) in that
buffer? Are the resulting changes valid?

(Aside: This was challenging at first, b/c org-export-expand-include-keyword is not interactive.)

Ah... now I see it.

#+INCLUDE: "../slidehead.org"
#+include: "../glossary.org"

#+include: "./01-contents.org"

The last heading in glossary.org is ":noexport:" -- then, the include for 01-contents.org thinks that it should go underneath the last heading to be created in glossary.org. So, everything that was a top level heading in 01-contents.org becomes a second-level heading, underneath a :noexport: tag.

So, that pretty much blows my file structure to smithereens.

I suppose it's actually debatable. But, I would have assumed that the last heading level in an included file would be "unwound" before including the next file. That is:

~~
#+include "something.org"
* Heading
#+include "something-else.org"
~~

... would denote everything in something-else.org by one level, while...

~~
#+include "something.org"

#+include "something-else.org"
~~

... would leave something-else.org's levels untouched, regardless of the headline levels in something.org.

Hm. It looks like my whole idea about structuring this project was badly conceived from the beginning :( either that, or the include mechanism is not thoroughly thought-through.

hjh