Re: [O] Citations and references in ODT

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Citations and references in ODT
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:16:53 +0530

Aric Gregson <address@hidden> writes:

> From http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/80832

> OpenDocument export failed: Symbol's function definition is void:
> org-element-cache-reset

> I also receive this error the first time that I try to open an org
> file. I can open the file if I try another time.

Are you still stuck here or you made some repairs and stuck elsewhere.

The above error has nothing to do ox-odt.el or ox-jabref.el.  It says
your org-element.el is coming from some unexpected path.  The problem is
usually because of wrong installation.

> Jambunathan has any ideas as to why his exporter is not working with my
> set-up.

It is difficult for me to imagine how you set up things.  (There are so
many moving parts).  All I can say is this: "Not related to odt/jabref
exporters.  Something is related to how you have setup things".  Nothing
more.

You will have better luck if

1. You start emacs with a blank .emacs
2. Install Org from ELPA.

Once you have a working ox-odt.el setup, then you can make additional
modifications to that setup and install ox-jabref.el.

Your best debug tools are

1. M-x find-library
2. M-x locate-library
3. M-x list-load-path-shadows.

You can run the above commands vis-a-vis the following libraries

1. org-loaddefs
2. org-compat
3. org-element.el

and investigate *for yourself* whether the paths are getting "mixed up".
If you analyse the output, you will understand what I mean.  Most likely
there are stale or non-existent .elc files or the .elc files were
generated against a stale library.

IMO, starting from scratch (i.e., an empty .emacs) and installing Org
via M-x list-packages is a sure way to have a working setup with minimal
fuss.