Re: [O] [poll] Fontify code in code blocks

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [poll] Fontify code in code blocks
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:05:03 +0100

Hello Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> When `org-src-fontify-natively' will be `t' by default,
> it will be important to keep the distinction between source
> blocks and HTML/LaTeX blocks.
>
> So HTML blocks should remain unfontified by default, just
> to mark the difference with "active" source blocks.

I can share your idea that it's good to see a difference between both
types of code snippets. But, then, instead of _not_ fontifying the code
in question, it'd be better (for example) to provide them with
a different background color (other than the current
`org-block-background', shared by both types of snippets).

> I still think an option to highlight them would be nice.

Ouf ;-)

>> That would be the same for #+HTML/LaTeX one-liners, yes!
>
> For this I disagree... this would encourage using such
> one-liners too much.

I don't think having highlighting or not encourages one-lines: we need
them (for their purpose) or not, with or without highlighting.

On the contrary, not highlighting one-liners would encourage to convert
them into 3-liners (if we "need" the colors):

#+begin_html/latex
... one-line code ...
#+end_html/latex

Not sure to understand why you'd make a distinction.

>> Now, I have no idea about what's the work required. But I definitely
>> would love to see that implemented.
>
> Well, it's not hard but not straightforward -- and I'd rather
> be sure that the decision is to take that route before I try to
> implement this.
>
> Waiting to read what other think.

So do I.

Best regards,