[O] feature request: reloading settings in an org file should reload fil

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [O] feature request: reloading settings in an org file should reload file local variables
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 14:03:09 +0000

Hello,

I constantly run into an annoying side effect of org's handling of
settings in a document.  When writing a document for export, usually to
LaTeX, I find myself playing around with the document wide
setting variables, e.g.

   #+latex_header: \usepackage{tikz}

and similar.  Org requires me to re-load the document settings by
hitting C-c C-c on any such document setting line.  This is fine.

The problem is that org appears to reset *all* variables to default
(custom?)  settings.  This includes variables that have been set using
file local variables in the given document.  Of particular note is the
variable ~org-export-allow-bind-keywords~.  I normally have this set to
nil for safety reasons but wish to set this to t in some documents.  I
use something like this quite often on documents I *know* are safe:

,----
| # Local Variables:
| # org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil
| # org-export-allow-bind-keywords: t
| # End:
`----

The problem is that hitting C-c C-c on a settings line clears these
variables.  Having the bind one reset is particularly confusing at
times.  In the end, I have to kill the buffer and re-visit the file to
have things set up properly.

Is it possible to have org reload the whole file when reloading
settings?  Or not reset any variables at all?  Either approach would be
exhibit more consistent behaviour possibly?  Obviously, the position in
the file would have to be remembered should the file be reloaded
automatically.

This is not a major issue but a niggly one...

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.2.5c-451-gf75f3d