Re: [O] org babel before excute hook

From: Henning Redestig
Subject: Re: [O] org babel before excute hook
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 15:11:24 +0200

I thought about temp files, but that makes the file names cryptic which is inconvenient for communication without people outside org.. also, I tend recompile figures many times which would cause a lot of cluttering files that are hard to delete since you don't know which file is the one currently linked in your org file...

Anyway, I made this instead which appears to work as I intended

(defun org-babel-about-to-overwrite-file ()
  (let ((info (org-babel-get-src-block-info)))
    (setq result-file (cdr (assoc :file (nth 2 info))))
    (if (save-excursion
 (goto-char 0)
 (re-search-forward (concat ":file +" result-file) nil t)
 (re-search-forward (concat ":file +" result-file) nil t))
(message (concat result-file " defined in more than one source block"))
      (org-babel-execute-maybe))))

(add-hook 'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook 'org-babel-about-to-overwrite-file)

2013/10/12 Charles Berry <address@hidden>
John Kitchin <jkitchin <at> andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> I have a related kind of problem. When preparing notes
> for a class, I may end up with 70 code blocks in an org file, many of
> which create graphics. I am always worried about accidentally using the
> same filename and overwriting a graphic from an earlier block. A unique,
>  but reproducible filename would be sufficient for my needs.

Header arg values can be elisp calls. You can use `make-temp-file'.

So every time this block is executed, a new file is created and the
file link is added to the results.

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results output append :file (make-temp-file "temp")
cat(date(),"\n")
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
[[file:/var/folders/kb/2hchpbyj7lb6z76l0q73w_fh0000gn/T/temp302IjV]]
[[file:/var/folders/kb/2hchpbyj7lb6z76l0q73w_fh0000gn/T/temp3028Lu]]

See `temporary-file-directory', too, if you want to use this, as the
default may not be what you intend.

You might want to use this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun local-tfile (file)
    (let ((temporary-file-directory "."))
      (make-temp-file file)))
#+END_SRC

Then the files go in the local directory when this is executed:

#+BEGIN_SRC R :file (local-tfile "tfile") :results output append
cat(date(),"\n")
#+END_SRC

You might not want `append' in this case.

HTH,

Chuck

[rest deleted]