Re: [O] heading numbering in LaTeX export?

From: Peter Salazar
Subject: Re: [O] heading numbering in LaTeX export?
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 00:59:56 -0400

Thank you! That solution is very promising indeed.

I see why it's quick and dirty though - it appears to be generation section numbers, but just making the numbers invisible, so that the headings are not flush with the left margin:
http://i.imgur.com/G6drpmf.png

Is there a solution to that, or is that just the way it is?

Thanks again.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Peter Salazar <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for the responses!
>
> John: Oh yes, of course. Sorry about that. inimal org file and config files are here. I had to make the org file long enough to make several pages, so the header displays. Here you
> go:
> https://github.com/petersalazar/org-troubleshooting
>
> Rasmus: #+OPTIONS: num:0 is what I started from. When I do that, the resulting PDF has no Table of Contents, and the header displays the section title as "Contents."
>
> The same thing happens with #+LATEX: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}.
>
> Richard: Your idea about
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{...}
>
> sounds very promising! I'd love to know what the exact command is!

The quick-and-dirty solution is

#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesection}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesubsection}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesubsubsection}{}

That's enough for the default secnumdepth of 3, but if you make that
bigger, you'll have to make it even dirtier:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\theparagraph}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesubparagraph}{}

There is probably a cleaner way, but that would require cleverness
and I don't have any right now.

BTW, this turns off section numbers in the TOC as well, not just in the
body of the document.
--
Nick