Re: [O] [patch][org-entities] More symbols

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] [patch][org-entities] More symbols
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 18:17:43 +0530

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

>> With some scripting, this pulling can be made less laborious but more
>> complete.
>
> Would you be able to get the HTML entities?  Nicolas said that Org
> "prefers" entity names due to encoding.  I can find the unicode number
> in Emacs, but not it's name.  This is often the laborious part.

Why use name when it is easier to use the numerical value?

Something like &#x2014; should be good for —.  (You can get the code
value by doing the C-u C-x = on the displayed character.)

,----
|       character: — (displayed as —) (codepoint 8212, #o20024, #x2014)
|                                                               ^^^^^^
|   name: EM DASH
`----

I see that the entity names are listed in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-entity-names/byalpha.html

Load the above file within Emacs.

  M-x eww http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-entity-names/byalpha.html RET

or

  M-x browse-url-emacs RET
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-entity-names/byalpha.html RET

  M-x load-library RET shr RET
  M-x shr-render-buffer RET

Write the resulting buffer to an Org buffer or a text file. Then C-s for
the unicode codepoint, C-a to get the entity name.  You are done.