Re: [O] Tangle with conditional statement

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Tangle with conditional statement
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:49:13 -0600

"Fabrice Niessen" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Andreas,
>
>> First time poster to this mailing list.
>> I was hoping i could get some pointers to a question I have not yet found a
>> solution or example of.
>>
>> I use orgmode and tangled elisp src blocks to initiate emacs. I also use
>> el-get to install packages, however sometimes these packages fail for
>> various reasons and I would like to skip them so that the hall emacs
>> initailisation doesn't brake. However for important packages i have them
>> hardcoded in my init files so that the settings I have doesn't complain.
>> But as I use org-mode to tangle this I can just flip the :tangle to "no" to
>> to not tangle a specific section.
>>
>> my question: Is it possible to have a conditional statement for a tangled
>> block so that only if a package is installed or a directory exist does the
>> block tangle? Meaning that I wouldn't need to hard code all the el-get
>> fetches in my init file.

Yes, this is possible, e.g.,

* Conditional Tangle Example

To setup, run this block to ensure foo exists and bar doesn't.
#+begin_src sh :tangle no :results silent
  date > foo
  rm -f bar
#+end_src

Then tangle the buffer with =C-c C-v t=.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle (if (file-exists-p "foo") "yes" "no")
  (message "only tangled if %s exists %s" "foo" (file-exists-p "foo"))
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle (if (file-exists-p "bar") "yes" "no")
  (message "only tangled if %s exists %s" "bar" (file-exists-p "bar"))
#+end_src

>> Is this a good idea?

Probably not.  The emacs-lisp embedded in your Org-mode file is only
re-tangled when the Org-mode file changes, so it is better to have the
conditional in the tangled Emacs Lisp file so it is run every time you
start Emacs.

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte