Re: [O] org-forward-element looses selection on code blocks

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-forward-element looses selection on code blocks
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:35:54 +0200

Hello,

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> Up to quite recently, I could select ("region") code blocks or multiple
> consecutive paragraphs by pressing <C-down> which ran `forward-paragraph'.
>
> Now that <C-down> is mapped to `org-forward-element':
>
> - I can't select any code block anymore via <C-down> (well line by line with
>   <down>).
> - I can't select consecutive paragraphs from following subtrees.

This second item is inherent to the structure of the document. You can
use `org-down-element' to move into the next subtree.

> Is there a plan to fix it in `org-forward-element' (IOW, do we consider that
> as a bug or a feature, or not at all?), or must I remap <C-down> back to its
> old command?

I don't think the bug comes from `org-forward-element'.

If you use C-space in the middle of the block and then M-x
org-forward-element, the block will be marked. If you do the same with
C-<down> instead of M-x org-forward-element, it will not be marked.

There is a similar problem with `org-end-of-line' (it will lose region
if called through C-e, but not with M-x org-end-of-line), also on source
blocks.

I don't know the root of this evil.

Anyhow, you can remap <C-down> to whatever suits you.

Nicolas Goaziou