Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?

From: Samuel Loury
Subject: Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 10:17:02 +0200

Hi,
Xebar Saram <address@hidden> writes:

> I was wondering what you guys do for syncing org files between PC's, Os's,
> devices (android etc)..

There have been lot's of awesome solutions provided in this thread. Mine
is quite similar but I think it is worth describing it anyway.

I use git (a hand made script¹) to synchronize my personal files (not
only the org files) with a usb key. In fact, into the key, there is only
a encrypted version (via encfs) of a git bare repository. The data are
encrypted in case someone get access to my key.

I am now used to launch the script first thing in the morning, just
after plugging the key, and just before I unplug it.

The script has been in use for 2 years now and works quite well.

The problem with synchronizing with git is that the history might grow
out of control after some time. My workaround for the time being (it is
still being thought about) is to "cut" the repository. The idea is that
I only need most recent history, not the full one. My current
implementation² uses git clone --depth and results in a shallow
repository.  This implementation really sucks because shallow
repositories are really limited. Any better idea would be welcome.

To get access to my org files from android, I tested two years ago
mobile org without success. Recently, I exported my errand tasks³ as a
ics file that I looked via a home made python script (thanks to sl4a⁴)
with a webview⁵ graphical interface. Nonetheless, I lost the python
script (CyanogenMod pawwwwaaa) and I am too lazy to rewrite it. Then I
guess I will give mobile org another chance.

Best

¹ https://github.com/Konubinix/Devel/blob/master/bin/konix_perso-sync.sh
² https://github.com/Konubinix/Devel/blob/master/bin/konix_perso-shorten.sh
³
https://github.com/Konubinix/Devel/blob/master/config/elfiles/config/after-loads/KONIX_AL-org.el#L1909http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/ApiReference#webViewShow

--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A