Re: [O] M-RET inside the first second-level heading of the first first-l

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] M-RET inside the first second-level heading of the first first-level heading
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 11:54:45 +0200

Hi John,

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi Jisang,
>>
>> Jisang Yoo <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> 2. Place cursor at the beginning of "** bacon" and press M-RET and org
>>> creates
>>> a first-level heading.
>>
>> This should now be fixed.  Thanks for reporting this,
>
> There were some same/similar/related issues as well, and I'm still not
> getting perfect results.
>
> Using a minimal config (below), if I create this in a new file
>
> * test
> ** test1
> ** test2
>
> and then fold on * test, I get this:
>
> * test...2

I do have (setq require-final-newline t) in my config, which prevents
this.  What happens is this: if you don't have the config above, the
folding will get wrong and display the "2" from the end of the buffer.

> Also, after navigating to the end of * test...2 (with it folded) and
> issuing M-RET, I get a new second level heading after ** test2. I
> would have expected a new first level headline since I did M-RET on a
> first level headline. Or is that the default behavior?

If you are before the "..." ellipsis, you are on a first level
headline and M-RET will insert a first level headline.  Otherwise you
are on a second level headline ("test2") and it will insert a second
level headline.

> If so, I guess my only concern is the folding of the end of a headline
> if there's no hard return after it into the ellipsis of it's parent.

Yes.  Maybe M-RET could/should handle this corner-case but since
`org-insert-heading' is deserving a full rewrite, I'm not going to
try to handle this corner-case myself... let's just keep it in mind
when doing the rewrite.  Thanks for spotting it,

--
 Bastien