Re: [O] Rationale for *text* -> \alert{text} for Beamer export?

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Rationale for *text* -> \alert{text} for Beamer export?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 12:44:31 +0200

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 11:41:49AM -1000, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> 3) So, markup should be semantic, rather than visual.
>
> It is possible to achieve identical results using visual markup, of
> course, but why not let the computer keep track of things instead?
> >
> > Sure, and understood. In general, I'm using *text* simply to call
> > attention to something important. I work in product development, so
> > something like:
> >
> > Customer response to product sampling:
> > - *US:* blah blah blah
> > - *China:* blah blah blah
> > - *India: blah blah blah
>
> Here, to achieve semantic markup, you would use description lists
>
> - US :: blah
> - China :: blah
> - India :: blah

Description lists align at the "::", which can look weird when you have
headings of very different lengths.  So I often use \structure{..}.  I
have a filter that translates +strikethrough+ text to structure[1].

Footnotes:

[1] <http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#export-filters>

--
Suvayu