Re: [O] Collaborating with TODO lists and clocks.

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Collaborating with TODO lists and clocks.
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:27:23 -0700

Hi Gareth,

Gareth Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> Does anyone use org to collaborate on task lists? It seems to me that it
> would be very natural to put a tasks.org file into a VCS repo, claim a
> task by changing its status from TODO to IN_PROGRESS (and committing
> that change), work, then mark as DONE at the end.
>
> That's all awesome - but what if you're also using org to clock your
> working time?
> Alternatively, am I wrong about what I think I want? Is there a better
> workflow I should be thinking about adopting?

Is there a reason you don't want any clock data to end up in the shared
tasks.org?

If not, one thing you could do is:

1) When claiming a task, each person uses a tag for their name (in
addition to, or instead of, just changing the TODO state).  Then that
person "owns" the clock data for that task.

2) Then use the :tags option on a clock table to filter the clock data
for just the tasks you personally have worked on; each person can have
their own table (in tasks.org).

For example, suppose you have a task like:

* TODO Frobnicate something

You claim it by changing that to:

* IN_PROGRESS Frobnicate something              :gareth:

Check that in, then start your clock in this tree.

Somewhere else in the file, you have a clock table like:

#+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 3 :scope file :tags "+gareth"
#+CAPTION: Gareth's working time on all tasks
# ...
#+END:

which will show you the clock data for just the tasks you've worked on
(i.e., are tagged in).

--
Best,
Richard