Re: [O] are babel python sessions and inlined images incompatible?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] are babel python sessions and inlined images incompatible?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 06:27:03 -1000

Aloha Seb,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<address@hidden> writes:

> Well, I *now* know it's not described in the Org manual...
>
>   ╭──── http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-03/msg01181.html
>
>   │ - :results graphics makes the list even longer, yes?  :-) I'm not
>   │   sure that every language supports it and I don't believe it's
>   │   currently in the manual.
>   ╰────
>
> Though, it's described in many different posts on this ML, and in some
> tutorials on Worg...
>
>   ╭──── http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html
>
>   │ If a :file filename.ext header argument is provided to an R source
> block, then
>   │ the output from the source block will go to the named file. What that
> output
>   │ is depends on the value of the :results header argument.
>
>   │ If the value is :results graphics then "base" graphics output is captured
> on
>   │ disk, and a link to the graphics file is inserted into the Org
> Mode buffer (as
>   │ is also the case with the graphics-only languages such as gnuplot,
> ditaa, dot,
>   │ and asymptote.)
>   ╰────
>
> I thought it was a "core" option value for all general-purpose languages (e.g.
> emacs-lisp, python, R, ruby, sh), required when your code block outputs a
> graphics.
>
> After checking, I only found it in those files:
>
> ./ob-maxima.el:117:  (and (member "graphics" (cdr (assq :result-params
> params)))
> ./ob-octave.el:272:  (and (member "graphics" (cdr (assq :result-params
> params)))
> ./ob-R.el:234:  (and (member "graphics" (cdr (assq :result-params params)))

The language documentation on Worg, such as
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html, is
meant to be documentation, rather than tutorial.  It is structured this
way so the manual doesn't need to be updated every time support for a
new language is added, or changes are made to a language-specific file.

The template for this documentation includes a slot for default header
arguments and also one for language-specific header arguments, because
these are often changed by the language-specific modules.

I think the hope and expectation is that the user community take over
the tasks of creating and tending the language-specific code.  If
:results graphics makes good sense for Python, then users should feel
free to add it to ob-python.el.  With the examples you point out, it
shouldn't be too difficult.

hth,
Tom

--