Re: [O] Superscripts and subscripts

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Superscripts and subscripts
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 20:20:52 +0200

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> With a recent git pull and #+OPTIONS: ^:{}, `C^{14}' is interpreted
>> correctly but ` ^{14}C' is not, both in the Org buffer and in LaTeX
>> export. The space before the caret appears to be the problem.
>
> Confirmed -- this was reported already once.  I don't have a fix for
> this at the moment, hopefully Nicolas can have a look sometime.

I made a non-whitespace character compulsory before the sub/superscript
marker a while ago, in order to circumvent a parsing problem.

Indeed, there is a parsing ambiguity between subscript and underline.
Consider the following example:

  _example_

According to the syntax it can be either an underlined "example" string
or a subscript "example" string followed by an underscore string. Both
are valid interpretations.

Of course, we could work around this with a new rule saying "the longest
match wins", which, in this case, is the underline. But it would be
better to find a more elegant solution, one which would remove the sole
ambiguity, AFAICT, in Org syntax.

Suggestions welcome.

Nicolas Goaziou