Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:21:55 +0300

> From: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:16:28 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>

> On 10 apr. 2013, at 11:54, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:32:44AM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> >>
> >> See "Side note" towards the end of this message
> >>
> >>        http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14157#8
> >>

> > This request is common enough; every time it comes up overlays are
> > proposed as a solution.  It would be good if this is available even as a
> > library outside of Org.
>
> Yes, overlays are better.

I beg the Org developers to please be very careful when introducing
expensive display features such as overlays into Org.  Org already
puts the Emacs display engine to its limits in many of its popular
features; adding overlays to this mess might be too much.

I don't know enough about Org to understand why overlays are being
considered instead of text properties, but feel free to describe the
issues (preferably on emacs-devel) and start a discussion about the
possible alternatives.