Re: [O] Using a table value within the text (dynamic variable)?

From: 'Mash (Thomas Herbert)
Subject: Re: [O] Using a table value within the text (dynamic variable)?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:59:30 +0100

On 2013-04-10 13:16+0200, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> "'Mash Thomas Herbert" wrote:
> > I was wondering if it was possible at all to use like a "variable" within a
> > document that would reference a table cell, and could then be
> > dynamically updated when the table cell was?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that I would like to have have tabular data held
> > in another document and then write my document referencing and
> > including the data within the text, so I only have to change the
> > external data and the document would be updated automatically.
> >
> > Example...
> >
> > #+TBLNAME: example
> > |-----+-----|
> > | Foo | Bar |
> > |-----+-----|
> > |  22 | 43  |
> > |  44 | 54  |
> > |-----+-----|
> >
> > Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, @remote(example,B2) consectetur adipiscing
> > elit. Nullam
> > vehicula lobortis sem, ut viverra lorem elementum quis. Etiam ac lacus
> > eu ante molestie vehicula. Maecenas sed viverra sem. Proin mattis
> > fermentum orci, sed tempus nibh feugiat eget.
> >
> > Would become...
> >
> > Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, 43 consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam
> > vehicula lobortis sem, ut viverra lorem elementum quis. Etiam ac lacus
> > eu ante molestie vehicula. Maecenas sed viverra sem. Proin mattis
> > fermentum orci, sed tempus nibh feugiat eget.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Use an Org Babel (inline) code block which extracts part of the table. See
> "indexing variables".
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb
>
> --
> Sebastien Vauban

OK thanks, I have never used Babel at all, but I believe I have found
the inline use.

src_lang[args]{code}

So I thought...

src_emacs-lisp[var: data=example-table[2:1]]{data}

But this does not work.

Two questions...

Am I right in saying even if I do get this to work, it would only
"replace" the inline code blocks (variables) on an export? It wouldn't work
like a
hyperlink and "translate" and "hide" the code block underneath the
value?

Sorry I can't think of how to phrase that question better.