Re: [O] We're doing it wrong. [WAS]: Zip utility on Windows for ODT expo

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] We're doing it wrong. [WAS]: Zip utility on Windows for ODT exporter
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 20:09:15 +0200

Hi John,

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> I guess there's no time like the present for learning some lisp.

:)

> *If* I can figure out how to do this, it would be a simple variable to
> set the name of the zip utility. I'd add documentation specific to
> Windows linking to INFO-zip or some other utility, instructions, and
> then to set the variable to "C:/path/to/zip.exe" instead of just
> "zip."

There are three occurrences of "zip" in ox-odt.el.

But two of them come with switches (see lines 4101):

          (cmds `(("zip" "-mX0" ,target-name "mimetype")
                  ("zip" "-rmTq" ,target-name "."))))

Two problems: (1) I don't know what these switches do, and
(2) I infer there are specific to zip.

So you would need to find out if there are necessary and what
equivalent switches are needed for other zip utilities.  If they
are not necessary, let's remove them.  If these switches are the
same for all zip utilities (we can dream, right?), let's only
have an option `org-odt-zip-executable'.

If they are pecualiar to zip, then maybe the option should be an
alist of executables to search for, along with formatting strings
for those two occurrences -- something like:

(setq org-odt-zip-executable
      '(("zip" "zip -mX0 %s mimetype" "zip -rmTq %s .")))

> *nix users could simply leave the default variable, "zip", or change
> to a direct path as well if they wanted.

Yes.  The problem is with the switches.  That would be too simple
otherwise :)  Let us know if you can come up with something that
is good enough for you!

--
 Bastien