[O] Referring to files (was: looking for advice on where/how to store or

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Referring to files (was: looking for advice on where/how to store org realted files (attachments/images etc))
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 10:00:51 +0200

* Itai kloog <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all

Hi!

> I take alot of screenshots and attach alot of PDF's/ scrips to my notes. I
> would love to hear back from the community on how people organize these "
> realted" org files.

Take a look at http://orgmode.org/org.html#Attachments - it's «the
Org-mode way» of attaching files to a node.

However, I generally use a different kind of approach. Files like
screenshots I name similar to «2013-01-14T10.01 Screenshot - calfw week
view sketch.png», thus including an ISO 8601 date/time-stamp.

With Memacs [1] I do use a module that generates an Org-mode index
of all files that start with such a timestamp [2]. This way, I can
refer to any file: [[tsfile:2013-01-14T10.01 Screenshot...]]

This custom link (tsfile) takes me to the corresponding
Org-mode/Memacs buffer which has the link to the file. So, it's an
indirect link but this way, I do not care in which directory the
(unique) file is located. This is handy especially when the folder
is not the same on different machines you are using. Or when you
like to move files (after finishing a project or similar).

HTH

  1. https://github.com/novoid/Memacs
  2.
https://github.com/novoid/Memacs/blob/master/docs/memacs_filenametimestamps.org
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github