Re: [O] avoid subscripting text

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] avoid subscripting text
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:50:39 -0500

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:
> There is also a variable (org-export-with-sub-superscript or something
> like that).

#+begin
org-export-with-sub-superscripts is a variable defined in `ox.el'.
Its value is t

Documentation:
Non-nil means interpret "_" and "^" for export.

When this option is turned on, you can use TeX-like syntax for
sub- and superscripts.  Several characters after "_" or "^"
will be considered as a single item - so grouping with {} is
normally not needed.  For example, the following things will be
parsed as single sub- or superscripts.
#+end_man

> Maybe this would be good as default nil?

I'd like to poll the list for frequent LaTeX exporters vs. everyone
else before making a change like that. My intuition would suggest that
underscores get used a lot by LaTeX users and not a ton by the rest,
but I could be wrong!

Also, having just used ODT export for the first time, I was giddy with
joy that my superscripts and subscripts made it through as well.(So
the opinions of those using super/subscripts for other export
functionality should also be considered.)

John