[O] make footnotes appear as tooltips on HTML export?

From: Peter Salazar
Subject: [O] make footnotes appear as tooltips on HTML export?
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:56:54 -0400

Hey everyone,

I had a thought. So, I export most of my org files to both HTML and PDF. I was thinking that for HTML, the behavior of putting footnotes at the end of the document, as you would for a printed page, is a bit outdated. In a printed document, you put the footnotes at the end because you have to. But with HTML, it doesn't really make sense to make the user click through to the bottom of the document in order to discover the footnote content. It would be more in keeping with the spirit of hypertext to create a tooltip that the user could hover over and view the content instantly inline.

This is trivial to implement using CSS3:
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2012/11/how-to-create-a-simple-css3-tooltip/

and only slightly more complicated using jQuery:
http://www.chillwebdesigns.co.uk/chilltip

I was thinking about trying to create a way for org-mode to automatically create tooltips from footnotes, but I'm a beginner, so before I take a crack at it, I thought I would ask: has anyone already done this?

Or, does anyone have ideas about how to easily automate this behavior using org export to HTML?

Best,
Peter