Re: [O] Create course material with org-mode

From: Jay Kerns
Subject: Re: [O] Create course material with org-mode
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:21:13 -0400

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dnia 2013-03-11, o godz. 23:02:46
> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> napisał(a):

[snip]

Many comments.

- You can set up a single org file with tagged headings, like this:
  * These are my slides                       :slide:
  * These are my Lecture Notes              :lecture:
  * Here are Exam questions                    :exam:
  * Here be Exercises                                 :exer:
  * Organisation of everything                :organ:

- Then when it comes time to export you can do the
  #+EXCLUDE_TAGS: slide exam exer organ
  which will export your lecture notes.

- Set up a PROPERTY line for each heading to tangle to different
  places (if desired), like this:
  * Organisation of everything                :organ:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :tangle:   organ.R
  :END:

- Beamer is a case all its own.  It might be easier to have a
  single big Beamer org file which has all slides and then another
  org file(s) for everything else.  Maybe I'm wrong, though; try it!

- Org publishing is very powerful.  You can set up assorted
  publishing projects to do almost /anything/.

- I have some example org-publishing setup from some time ago.  I
  haven't updated these to the new exporter but it can at least
  give you an idea about what used to be possible:
  https://github.com/gjkerns/config/blob/master/dotemacs.el

- Regarding exams/quizzes, at first I used LaTeX, then moved to
  LyX a long time ago, then managed to get an example Org file
  working, then it stopped working (and it seemed easier to do with
  LyX anyway), so I went back to LyX, but now the new exporter is
  out, so after reading your message I went back to see if I
  could get the old example working again, and I did!
  https://github.com/gjkerns/samplequiz

- My personal workflow is to put the book in one org file, then
  lecture notes in another org file, then grades in another org
  file. YMMV.

- The book is a lengthy org file which is still in the much
  lengthier process of conversion to the new exporter.
  https://github.com/gjkerns/IPSUR

Good luck and best wishes.

--
Jay