Re: [O] [BABEL] the julia language

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [BABEL] the julia language
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 12:05:51 -0700

Hi Jay,

Having read through intro-julia.org and scanned ob-julia.el I have to
say this looks great.  Thanks for sharing!

Would you be willing to contribute ob-julia.el to the Org-mode
repository?  I don't see you listed as an Org-mode contributor (see
[1]), so to do so you would likely have to complete the FSF copyright
attribution.  Please let me (and more importantly Bastien) know if this
is something you'd like to do, so we can help get julia support into
Org-mode.

Additionally, it would be nice for your excellent introduction to be
added to worg, and for julia to be listed as a supported babel language
(see [2]).

Cheers,

Jay Kerns <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Maybe you've heard about the relatively new language, "julia" [1]?
> The ESS team added support for it some months back [2] and they've
> been working on it more recently even [3]. It seemed natural to
> investigate Babel support for julia and after quite a bit of fiddling
> with ob-R.el I believe I've sorted out the major pieces:
>
> git://github.com/gjkerns/ob-julia.git
>
> There's an "ob-julia.el" file which is the meat, then
> "ob-julia-doc.org" and "ob-julia-beamer.org" files for testing, plus
> an "intro-julia.org" file in case you're new to julia and would like
> to learn more. For testing you'd need a recent installation of julia
> [2] and you'd need an almost bleeding-edge version of ESS [4].  By the
> way, it was written under the development branch of Org so if you
> haven't updated recently you might need that too.
>
> LaTeX/HTML/Beamer export is working, C-c C-c evaluation of code
> chunks, plotting figures (need the Winston package), etc.  Session
> evaluation is required at least for the time being.
>
> If you see ways to improve it I'd appreciate any feedback.
>
> Cheers,
> Jay
>
> [1] http://julialang.org/
> [2] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2012-September/008212.html