[O] How to markup verbatim code including = and ~?

From: Nathaniel Cunningham
Subject: [O] How to markup verbatim code including = and ~?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 17:05:58 -0600

I'd like to incorporate some scraps of code in an org file.  These scraps include both ~ and =, the markers for verbatim text and code.

I used customize-variable org-emphasis-alist to change the symbols to mark verbatim text, but without success; adding unusual symbols broke LaTeX export of the org file, and swapping the underline and verbatim symbols had no effect (code marked _like so_ was still underlined instead of made verbatim).

Advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Nathaniel

p.s. I don't subscribe to this list, so please include my email in reponses. Thanks!