[O] Including linked emails during export (was Re: Integration of notmuc

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: [O] Including linked emails during export (was Re: Integration of notmuch email references in notes in org-mode)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:41:25 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 04:33:45PM +0100, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On 18/02/13 16:12, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:49:32PM +0100, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> >>
> >> - From time to time, I have to include email references in notes in org.
> >> There is obviously
> >> org-notmuch.el, but I am not to happy with it as, when exporting the
> >> notes, the link is shown
> >> but neither clickable nor the resulting email is shown in the exported
> >> document (both
> >> understandable).
> >>

> > This has also been an irritation of mine.  I think I will take your second
> > idea (include the
> > email on export) and see if I can come-up with a patch for org-notmuch.
> > Since I'm still a
> > newbie elisp programmer, this might take a while.  :-p
>
> If there is a solution in sight, I am happy to wait a bit - email in export,
> possibly in a block
> so that it is set apart from the rest of the document, would be brilliant.
> Possibly having an
> option which can be set to have links exported as links or expanded on
> export, would be really nice.

The option to open the link is out of the question since different
people read their emails differently.  There is no way for a library to
get everything right, specially since the link won't be in Emacs.  It is
in the exported file (e.g. html, pdf, txt).

Now to include the email during the export at first I thought it should
be possible to write a filter, but then I realised I need to insert an
email quote block after whatever parent greater-element holds the link
and then redirect the link to this new block.  A filter allows you a way
to modify an element, but nothing more.  So I think the correct approach
here would be to write a derived backend.  This complicates things quite
significantly since now you need to support each backend separately.  I
wonder if there is any easier (generic) way to do the above for all
present and future backends.

I have CC'd Nicolas, lets see what he has to say.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu