Re: [O] Integration of notmuch email references in notes in org-mode

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Integration of notmuch email references in notes in org-mode
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:12:50 +0100

Hi Rainer

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:49:32PM +0100, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> - From time to time, I have to include email references in notes in org.
> There is obviously
> org-notmuch.el, but I am not to happy with it as, when exporting the notes,
> the link is shown but
> neither clickable nor the resulting email is shown in the exported document
> (both understandable).

This has also been an irritation of mine.  I think I will take your
second idea (include the email on export) and see if I can come-up with
a patch for org-notmuch.  Since I'm still a newbie elisp programmer,
this might take a while.  :-p

> I could also include a bash source block:
>
> #+header: :results output org
> #+begin_src sh
>   notmuch show thread:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> #+end_src
>
> the result ooks ugly formated - if I use raw, I can not fold the result, due
> to strange characters
> at the beginning of the header lines.

Actually what you see is supposed to be easily parsed.  From the
notmuch-show man page:

  --format=(text|json|sexp|mbox|raw)

    text (default for messages)

      The default plain-text format has all text-content MIME parts
      decoded.  Various components in the output, (message, header,
      body, attachment, and MIME part), will be delimited by
      easily-parsed markers. Each marker consists of a Control-L
      character (ASCII decimal 12), the name of the marker, and then
      either an opening or closing brace, ('{' or '}'), to either open
      or close the component.  For a multipart MIME message, these parts
      will be nested.

I'm assuming what you presently see is in text format (default).  Since
you are not happy with this, I would suggest you try the mbox format.

    [...]

    mbox

      All matching messages are output in the traditional, Unix mbox
      format with each message being prefixed by a line beginning with
      "From " and a blank line separating each message. Lines in the
      message content beginning with "From " (preceded by zero or more
      '>' characters) have an additional '>' character added.  This
      reversible escaping is termed "mboxrd" format and described in
      detail here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/mail-mbox-formats.html

A quick question though, how do you plan on handling attachments, I
presume you want to strip them?  In that case you will have to parse the
output anyway.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu