Re: [O] Feature: Group and limit items in agenda

From: Muchenxuan Tong
Subject: Re: [O] Feature: Group and limit items in agenda
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:10:26 +0800

Thanks for the new feature. I tried and it works well for what it intended to do. However, I still haven't found a way to do the kind of things I mentioned.

My intention is to limit the number of tasks in each category. For the new proposed 'org-agenda-max-todos', I can only limit the number of TODOs in the whole TODO lists.

Maybe for what I want, it's desirable to add a auto-split or auto-group features, where a list of TODOs, can be split further into multiple lists of TODOs, by a certain criteria (tags, category).

What do you think about it?

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Muchenxuan,

Muchenxuan Tong <address@hidden> writes:

> * Motivation
> - Sacha Chua proposed a solution for viewing top three tasks by
> context (http://sachachua.com/blog/2012/12/emacs-org-display-subset-tasks-context/)
> - In the Next view in Things (http://culturedcode.com/), one is able
> to setting to see only a limited numbers of top tasks of each
> project.

Thanks for the pointers.  From latest Org (master branch), you
can now use `org-agenda-max-entries' either as a global option,
or locally in each agenda view.

See the docstring on how to use this option and its friends:

  org-agenda-max-effort
  org-agenda-max-tags
  org-agenda-max-todos

org-agenda-max-effort might be particularily useful in TODO views.

Let me know if this works for you.

As for "grouping", I think this is more about setting agenda views,
sorting options and agenda filters properly -- but I'm open to any
idea on how to improve this (or to make it easier to set.)

Thanks!

--
 Bastien