Re: [O] [New exporter] Key bindings and typographical error

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] [New exporter] Key bindings and typographical error
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 15:52:13 +0100

Hi Eric and Seb,

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:28:06AM +1030, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Given that we have moved to a multi-key sequence for selecting exporter
> and then action, could these two aspects not be dealt with in the
> mini-buffer?  I find the display of all the options confusing...  I
> would rather have the dispatcher prompt, in the mini-buffer, something
> along the lines of:
>
> : Export to: (l) latex, (h) html, (o) ODT, (a) ascii
>
> with the choices obviously depending on the backends initialised.  Then,
> depending on the key (e.g. l):
>
> : Export as: (l) file, (b) buffer, (p) PDF, ...

Here one of the options (file?) could be the default, so it would be
sufficient to hit RET for most cases.

> Just a thought which arises from my having to use small screens
> sometimes as I'm a sucker for punishment and insist on using Emacs on my
> phone and the dispatch window is too large sometimes...

I agree whole-heartedly.  The dispatcher menu has always bugged me.  It
doesn't seem to fit into rest of Emacs' minibuffer oriented interface.
For me this would mean one more step towards making Org mode friendlier
to text terminals.

> I would also suggest that beamer be a different target, separate from
> latex, chosen by a different first key (e.g. b).  This would then allow
> some unification of the second key sequence (f=file, b=buffer, p=PDF,
> v=view...)?

I am ambivalent about this suggestion.

> Finally, I could be more radical and suggest that the whole export
> dispatch should be based on keymaps... with C-h, as usual, bringing up
> the options.  But this might be too radical ;-)

Again, agree whole-heartedly.  :)

Cheers,

--
Suvayu