Re: [O] clocking ongoing items

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: [O] clocking ongoing items
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 02:50:53 -0500

Hi Rainer,

Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> I wonder how others are clocking ongoing isues, which are not really
> todos but more like "issues" collecting clocked time for work done
> regularly.  Example: Reading mail and organising daily priorities of
> tasks.  This "todo" will not finish very soon.  I want this item to be
> clocked daily but do not want it to look like a standard todo.  How do
> others handle this? I remember Bernt once had a tag "ONGOING" which he
> dropped again.
>
> Cheers,
> Rainer

Your use case sounds like a good fit for the `org-habit' module.  See
(info "(org) Tracking your habits").  A habit is like a periodic TODO
which you mark DONE each time you complete it for the day, but it resets
itself to being "undone" again after an interval of time passes.  Habits
also come with a nice display in agenda views to show you how often you
actually do something.  (I use this feature to track my daily meditation
habits, for example).  This way, together with org's time clock, the
task is periodic, but the clock times and relevant notes can still all
be kept in one place and the task can be represented as a single
headline.

Best,

--
WGG