Re: [O] [new-exporter] Macro expansion does not allow for newlines '\n'

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [new-exporter] Macro expansion does not allow for newlines '\n'
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 12:53:51 +0100

Hello,

Jonathan Leech-Pepin <address@hidden> writes:

> The new exporter does not properly parse \n characters in macro definitions.
>
> In the old exporter the following:
>
> #+MACRO: test hello\ngoodbye
>
> {{{test}}}
>
> exports to ASCII as:
>
> hello
> goodbye
>
> In the new exporter (e-ascii) it exports as:
>
> hello\ngoodbye
>
> I've also reproduced this using e-pdf and e-texinfo.

Indeed. There is no support anymore for that feature. Macros are
a simple tool for simple tasks. Anything more complicated would overlap
with Babel functionalities. There's no point in providing that.

As a side note, the old exporter is wrong anyway, since only line breaks
should ensure to keep a real line break in the output.

Also, a macro can be replaced with a more complicated Babel call, if
needed.

Nicolas Goaziou