Re: [O] Org Writer's room

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Org Writer's room
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 22:15:53 +0800

On 12/06/12 20:09 PM, Matt Price wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

>> [...]
>>
>>> To start with I would like to just replicate this window structure,
>>> because it keeps you focused on writing, while having the larger
>>> structure available if you feel the need to flit around a bit.  The
>>> third screenshot shows a semi-fake, still very primitive version of
>>> what I'd like to have.  (I haven't figured out a good way to do the
>>> metadata yet).
>>
>> I *really* like the idea of having a right-hand pane available showing
>> properties around the current point -- it could include properties from
>> the PROPERTIES drawer, from the structure returned by
>> `org-element-property', text properties, and maybe properties of the
>> current headline parent. I'm sort of envisioning what you get from the
>> "inspect element" command in Firefox.
>>
>> For the left-hand pane, org-toc and org-panel in the contrib directory
>> (or even the org-goto interface) might provide some inspiration.
>>
>> Ugh, sounds like a lot of work.
>>
> those are 3 powerful tools I hadn't used before.  org-toc not working
> for me at the moment though, there might be something wrong with my
> .emacs setup...

Yeah, some of that's out of date. Actually, since Org looks like it will
be slowly migrating over to a basis on org elements, that's probably a
good direction to look. `org-element-parse-buffer' will return a data
structure for the current buffer that would be ideal for creating a tree
visualization.