Re: [O] Bug: source code editing using C-c ' (org-edit-special) eats cha

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: source code editing using C-c ' (org-edit-special) eats characters
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:27:16 -0700

Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/11/2012 23:02, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I'm seeing a similar problem in emacs trunk (r110821) where "C-c '" in
>>> the *Org Src* buffer closes the source edit window and discards the
>>> entire contents of the source block.
>>>
>>> Should I raise an emacs bug for this ?
>>>
>>>     AndyM
>>
>> I've seen this happen recently as well, specifically where I have added
>> comment lines to the source, e.g. lines starting with # in sh src code
>> blocks.  I was in a rush to get something done so didn't stop to try to
>> figure out what was happening or to generate a minimal example.  I also
>> don't know if it's still happening -- this happened to me late last
>> week, IRC.  I also don't know if the problem was dependent on the
>> version of Emacs as I use three systems daily (long story).
>
> This problem does seem difficult to reproduce consistently.
> Editing this to add new source discarded all edits:
>
> #+begin_src c
> #+end_src
>
> Changing it to use "C" made it keep the edits:
>
> #+begin_src C
> #+end_src
>
> However after changing the source block back to using "c", the problem did
> not
> return.
>
> I've seen problems more consistently with shell script blocks:
>
> #+begin_src shell-script
> #+end_src
>
> I'll try to produce a recipe that can consistently show this problem.

I have a similar and possibly related problem which I can consistently
reproduce.

In any Org-mode buffer create and enter an empty code block, I like to
do this with "<s TAB sh DOWNARROW" resulting in the following with the
cursor at C

#+begin_src sh
#+end_src

Then "C-'" into edit mode type "foo bar" do *not* type enter, and then
do a "C-'" again to go back to the Org-mode buffer.  You are left with
the following in the Org-mode buffer, which is not valid Org.

#+begin_src sh
  foo bar#+end_src

This is a relatively new problem which I only begun to notice in the
last month or so.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte