Re: [O] org-priority-faces has no effect - how to define line colors in

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org-priority-faces has no effect - how to define line colors in org-mode?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 03:24:57 -0400

address@hidden wrote:

> Why Do I need to type '?A' for priority 'A' ?

?A is elisp syntax for the character A. That's different from the string
containing
A which is denoted "A". As the docstring for the variable indicates, it expects
a *character* as the car of the pair.

> A little remark: the bold face has to be entered without double quotes:
> ':weight "bold"' has no effect, but ':weight bold' works well.

OK - sorry I screwed that up.

> (setq org-priority-faces '((?A . (:foreground "red" :weight bold))
> (?B . (:foreground "yellow"))
> (?C . (:foreground "green"))))
>
> This syntax is quite confusing for me
> - is there a tutorial anywhere which explains how to do such customizations

Probably the "Emacs Lisp Intro" tutorial which comes with your emacs I believe:

C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET

> - and what wildcards can/have to be used

No wildcards used here - not sure what you mean. If you mean the ? in ?A it's
most definitely *not* a wildcard.

> - and what "car" and "cdr" and "cons" mean?

These are obscure (but hallowed by long history) names of the basic operations
in Lisp. Lisp's basic data structure is called a (dotted) pair: cons takes two
things and constructs a dotted pair out of them. car and cdr (the names mean
nothing unless you happen to know the architecture of some ancient IBM computer
where Lisp was first developed) are selectors: car takes a pair and returns
the first part of it, cdr returns the second part.

Nick