Re: [O] [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:48:53 -0500

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 02:04:23PM +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Russell Adams:
> > Thus I pose the question: What is a valid contact manager for a
> > console-mode user with sync, fast searching and update?
>
> Hallo Russell,
>
> I'm also searching for a contact manager since ages. What I want to try when
> I've time (tm):
>
> - GNU recutils - plain text database, avail. in Debian et al.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/recutils
>
> - http://www.nongnu.org/addressbook
> From the author of recutils but abandoned. Elisp, like lbdb but uses vcard3
> format. Would be wonderful if somebody would update to [vx]card4.
>
> - Postgresql on the Desktop
> After having worked with Hadoop and looked into other NoSQL systems I'd like
> to have a closer look at old SQL stuff again. MySQL vulgarized me.
>
> ...But wouldn't it be better to use something semantic for contact management?

I'd like to see semantic's for everything! I may have to give BBDB3 a
whirl, given I've started to pickup elisp. My initial experience was
hideous, but if I can get phone integration perhaps it'd be worth the
pain.

On the semantic note, I found a utility called tmsu recently
(http://tmsu.org/) which allows semantic tagging of files. There was a
cool looking filesystem called Tagsistant too, but it unfortunately
appears abandoned.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden