Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for delicious (bookmark management)

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for delicious (bookmark management)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:33:12 -0700

Hi Karl,

On 6/23/12, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
> Did I miss something which might be of interest for a bookmark
> manager?

I like it.  Just in case it is of interest, here are some related ideas:

This is in the same approximate area as an annotation mechanism,
org-fstree, PUA, IPA, Fireforg, persistent marks, Emacs bookmarks, W3M
Antenna, Org registry, reverse link search, tangling and detangling,
and ID markers, including IDs on anything and unbreakable
bidirectional links.

What if we unified some of these concepts?  We have it work for every
Org link type.

Org entries can be anywhere in your Org files.  They contain the
canonical annotation for something.  Nothing fancy.

We could bounce back and forth between the thing and the Org entry
when the thing is viewable in Emacs.

Suppose you are viewing a source code file.  There is a unique marker
in a comment or a docstring.  Then find-file-hooks discovers the
unique place in Org that matches that marker.  The mode line shows a *
to tell you that there is an annotation there (more precisely, at
least one).  A command bounces back and forth between Org and the
marker point is nearest.

You can comment the code this way -- privately and with the full power of Org.

===

Or suppose you are reading a long Org entry, and you want to mark
where you stopped reading.  You could put a mark there and jump to it,
and it will be a bidirectional link with the place that annotates it.

If you are in a read-only source code file or something else like an
info page, you can't put a mark there, but there are other ways to do
a reverse link.

We could even do caching, diffing, etc. if we decided to get really
fancy.  Let's update our links and color them by whether they have
changed.  Where were you in the Emacs NEWS file?  Are some of your
links broken?  Do you have duplicate links that need to be put in a
canonical entry?  Did anybody update that web page?  How was that
remote file changed recently?  Clicking on the link does a diff and
updates the local cache.  You can even use the cache when you are
offline.

Just a bunch of possibilities.

There are some discussions of some of these ideas on this mailing list.

Samuel