[O] Babel and capitalization

From: François Pinard
Subject: [O] Babel and capitalization
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 10:58:42 -0400

Hi, Org people!

A while ago, we discussed capitalization on this list, as the manual was
irregular on things like #+BEGIN_SRC and #+begin_src.  After some
discussion and hesitation, Bastien decided to stick to upper case in the
manual, and despite it was not my own preference, I amended all my Org
files to use upper case, for consistency.

Now, I have a script, run at least daily, which checks all my Org files
for a lot of nits.  After I started to study some of Babel facilities
(yesterday), my script now trips on Babel results:

~/fp/notes/notes.org:33: Wrong capitalization
~/fp/notes/notes.org:57: Wrong capitalization

And indeed, I get, trying an example taken from this mailing list:

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results output
citation()
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example

To cite R in publications use:

  R Development Core Team (2011). R: A language and environment for
  statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
  Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

  @Manual{,
    title = {R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing},
    author = {{R Development Core Team}},
    organization = {R Foundation for Statistical Computing},
    address = {Vienna, Austria},
    year = {2011},
    note = {{ISBN} 3-900051-07-0},
    url = {http://www.R-project.org/},
  }

We have invested a lot of time and effort in creating R, please cite it
when using it for data analysis. See also ‘citation("pkgname")’ for
citing R packages.
#+end_example

If I correct #+begin_example to #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE, etc. and retry, the
result returns to lower case.

I could of course modify my nit-picking program so it recognizes the
#+RESULTS: case, but my feeling is that Org should be consistent overall
on capitalization.  And by telling this, of course, I disregard my own
preference.  Consistency has a stronger appeal to me.

François