Re: [O] HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:25:54 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernt Hansen writes:
>> I tried that... and installed emacs under Cygwin (so it can find emacs
>> to run emacs -batch) and then had to fix permissions on org-install
>> (since it's on a windows drive) before make autoloads worked.
>
> It's preferrable to use NTEmacs for this step, even though the .elc
> files should be compatible.
>
>> I didn't spend any time trying to correct install locations in the
>> makefile.  I run org-mode without compiling any sources normally and
>> having to do the extra make step each time I move around the source tree
>> isn't going to be very enjoyable.  I have no idea if I need to rerun
>> this make autoloads command on a regular basis or not.
>
> Yes and no.  As long as all the autoloaded functions continue to be in
> the same load-file and their names don't change and there are no new
> functions that need to be autoloaded, org-install.el effectively isn't
> going to change.  But that's a deception, since there is no way you
> could determine if it should have been changed unless you actually
> generate it anew.
>
> As I said, I'm still working to provide specifically for the case that
> org-version.el is missing (which would normally produce an autoloaded
> defconst org-version...) and injecting an org-version from looking at
> the git version of the work-tree (if it finds one).  That will also
> encompass an (autoloaded) function (with the load-file located in
> UTILITIES/ most likely) that you can call in emacs to re-generate
> org-install.el, since org-install.el is absolutely not optional.
>
> So going forward make will not be a requirement for simply using org
> either from Git or from tarball anymore.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Achim.  I hope my problem report on
this issue wasn't taken as a complaint - it wasn't intended that way --
I just wanted to report what I perceived to be a problem and at the time
I didn't have time to mess with the setup so I just reverted to a
previous working state in git.

I'll redo my make autoloads after pointing at NT Emacs (tomorrow) and
will remove emacs from Cygwin since the only reason I installed it in
the first place was to try to get make autoloads to complete.

Your efforts on cleaning up the Makefile system for org-mode are really
appreciated.  I'll just add 'make autoloads' to my list of things to do
when updating my master branch in git.

Regards,
Bernt