Re: [O] Exporting a presentation to both slides and handouts?

From: Eric Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Exporting a presentation to both slides and handouts?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:38:09 +0930

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm finishing a presentation with org-mode which is exported as beamer
> slides. I would like to also export it as a handouts, which basically
> means changing a couple lines in the preamble. Is there a way to do it
> from the org-mode file, or do I need to edit the generated LaTeX
> manually?
>
> (If the solution is to have some lines that specify the options and the name
> of the exported LaTeX file commented out, it would work fine with me.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

My solution is akin to yours except that I alter the org file
instead.  I have the following lines in my org file:

##+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [handout]
#+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{progressbar}}
#+latex_header:
\mode<handout>{\usecolortheme[rgb={0.5,0.5,0.5}]{structure}\usetheme[secheader]{Boadilla}\usepackage{pgfpages}\pgfpagesuselayout{4
 on 1}[a4paper,landscape,border shrink=5mm]}

and all I do is delete the extra # on the first line and add one to the
second line to switch from generating handouts to generating my
slides.  Remembering to hit C-c C-c, of course, before doing the
export.

I use very different themes for handouts (e.g. grey colour theme) and
for slides but those lines need not change.

Of course, by default, the export generates the same file name in both
cases.  For my use case, this isn't an issue.  I generate the handouts,
copy the resulting PDF file to the web server and then generate the
slides which I will actually present.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.06 (release_7.8.06.181.g67694.dirty)