Re: [O] [beamer] When are :BEAMER_envargs: used or ignored?

From: Eric Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [beamer] When are :BEAMER_envargs: used or ignored?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:11:51 +0930

James Harkins <address@hidden> writes:

> According to the online documentation [1], it seems
> that :BEAMER_envargs: should apply to all Beamer environments:

And it does generally although I have tried setting it (for your example
below) to {ybg} and it disappears.  If I set it to [ybg], it does appear
in the exported latex.  I haven't delved into the beamer export code in
a long while but it must be checking for constructs of the form [...] or
<...>, I would guess.

In any case, addressing your real question:

[...]

> Or, the simple question -- how do you set the colors of a color box in
> Beamer export?

> Oh, wait, I just figured it out... though you would have to admit,
> this is not remotely obvious.

> ** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns
> #+LaTeX: \setbeamercolor{ybg}{bg=yellow}
> *** ybg                                                  :B_beamercolorbox:
>     Please test this stuff!
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: beamercolorbox
>     :END:
>
> It kind of strikes me like an epic hack: you have to name the headline
> after the Beamer color ID, instead of naming the headline after the
> content... not very /org/anized.

Well, the problem is that a beamercolorbox is *not* a block and does not
expect a title parameter.  It actually expects only a colour (well, a
beamer colour structure, to be precise, such as the one you have
defined).  What is /org/ expected to do with the entry you specify?

To achieve what you want (maybe, as I am not clear exactly what you want
;-), you should probably define a block *within* the beamercolorbox or
vice versa.  For instance:

** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns
*** ybg                                                    :B_beamercolorbox:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: beamercolorbox
    :END:
**** Title                                                          :B_block:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_env: block
     :END:
     Please test this stuff!

> Worth a bug report or feature request?

It is not a bug, IMO.

Whether it should be a feature request or not is debatable.  The syntax
is, at present, fairly straightforward in that the headline text becomes
the argument to the environment defined.  What that environment does
with the argument is obviously up to the environment itself!

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.06 (release_7.8.06.181.g67694.dirty)