[O] [patch] Re: meaning of body-only in org-export-as-html

From: Chris Gray
Subject: [O] [patch] Re: meaning of body-only in org-export-as-html
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:47:02 -0600

Hi Myles,

Sorry I missed your email for so long.

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:51:29 +0000, Myles English <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> >> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:33:22 -0600, Chris Gray said:
>
>   > Hello, I am using org-export-as-html with the body-only parameter
>   > set to t in the org plugin for ikiwiki that I'm working on.  It
>   > works almost perfectly, but I recently had a user point out that
>   > it's not possible to get a table of contents, even when one is
>   > explicitly asked for in the #+OPTIONS line of the org file.
>
>   > Since the table of contents is part of the body (at least in the
>   > sense that it is between the <body> tags), I found this surprising.
>   > So would it cause problems to change the line
>
>   > (if (and org-export-with-toc (not body-only)) ...)

>   > (if org-export-with-toc ...)
>
>   > in org-export-as-html?
>
> I see one problem in that it would be then be inconsistent with
> org-export-as-ascii which considers the TOC to be part of the header.  I
> would like to be able to export just the TOC (as ascii, and I understand
> a new ascii exporter has been written lately).  The same thing for the
> html exporter would presumably solve your problem too because then you
> could export TOC+body (as html)?

The thing is, the docstring is not consistent with the code.  It would
make my life easier if the code was changed to match the docstring, but
I would also be okay if the opposite happened.

I am also looking forward to the new exporter being ready, but I guess
this small issue should be fixed in the current exporter until it is.

I have attached the patch that I suggested for the HTML exporter.

Cheers,
Chris