Re: [O] Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 15:32:15 +0530

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * Better item handling
>>
>> At the moment it is hard to change lists.  Often I need inline items
>> and interrupted  list.  This is hard to do with Org at the moment.
>
> There is support for inline lists in the experimental LaTeX back-end.
>
> Also, I'm not sure about what you mean with "interrupted lists", but
> counters may be the answer, i.e.:
>
>   6. address@hidden Start at 6
>   7. Following item

>From OpenDocument side of things, I am inclined to cite the attached
example. See comments in the attachment.

Talking of migration to org-export.el/org-e-odt.el, indented tables pose
special challenges because a list has to be broken and continued.  It
poses *more* challenges if I add "listified headlines" to the mix.

Nicolas,

Given the above context, one enhancmenet request that I have for you is
this:

Can the org-export driver make listified headings transparent to the
backend? Currently listified headings are handled within
org-e-backend-headline through first-sibling and last sibling checks and
the backends *do know* that it is handling a headline in a special way.

If you have reservations in considering the above request, I believe
handling of indented tables will be fragmented across plain-list/item
callbacks and headline callbacks.

Note that I am not saying that it is not doable but only that it
requires some deliberate effort and extra code.

--
* Table within a Table

  Indented tables in ODT discontinue and continue a list.

  - Item1
  - Item2
    - Item2.1
      | 1 | 2 |
      | 3 | 4 |
    - Item2.2
  - Item3

* COMMENT XML for above table

  Here you can see table is syntactically outside of a list.

  There is a special list-header tag that is used for continuing an
  item.

#+begin_src nxml
  <text:list text:continue-numbering="false" text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
    <text:list-item>
      <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
        Item1
      </text:p>
    </text:list-item>
    <text:list-item>
      <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
        Item2
      </text:p>
      <text:list text:continue-numbering="true"
text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
        <text:list-item>
          <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
            Item2.1
          </text:p>
        </text:list-item>
      </text:list>
    </text:list-item>
  </text:list>

  <text:section text:style-name="OrgIndentedSection-Level-2"
text:name="Section1">
table:style-name="OrgTblCellT"><text:p
text:style-name="OrgTableContentsRight">1</text:p></table:table-cell>
text:style-name="OrgTableContentsRight">2</text:p></table:table-cell>
table:style-name="OrgTblCellB"><text:p
text:style-name="OrgTableContentsRight">3</text:p></table:table-cell>
text:style-name="OrgTableContentsRight">4</text:p></table:table-cell>

  </text:section>
  <text:list text:continue-numbering="true" text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
    <text:list-item>
      <text:list text:continue-numbering="true"
text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
        <text:list-header>
        </text:list-header>
        <text:list-item>