Re: [O] Variable settings in .emacs VS cross device portability.

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Variable settings in .emacs VS cross device portability.
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 15:18:37 -1000

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:
>

> [...]
>
>> If you (and the receiver) tangle your export-settings source code block
>> to init.el (:tangle init.el), then execute something like the following
>> source code block
>>
>> #+begin_src sh
>> emacs -Q -l init.el examplebug.org
>> #+end_src
>>
>> you should be able to ensure that the receiver will get the same result
>> you get.
>>
>> Of course, anything in your .emacs (or other initialization files) that
>> is needed to produce the results will need to be included in
>> export-settings.
>>
>> hth,
>> Tom
>
> Thanks Tom!
>
> Actually, I must apologise.  Your message addresses the OP's initial
> question but somehow the thread has diverged from that and it's probably
> my fault it has...  Sorry!

Hi Eric,

No worries.  I tried and failed to get buffer local variables to do what
I wanted, as it appears you have, too.  My failure probably has to do
with my ignorance as much as anything, but Dan's analysis and your
thread convinced me that it wasn't all me.

I found it liberating to work on an Org mode file that would run in a
precisely defined environment, separate from the environmental mish-mash
that feels comfortable to me in my everyday work.

At any rate, I appreciate your good humor, even when I sound dull and
off point.

All the best,
Tom

--