[O] comments and attributes

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [O] comments and attributes
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 14:46:24 +0530

> Hello,
>
> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Does the existing behaviour as captured in [[Side-by-Side images laid
>> out by hand]] be preserved with new export driver?
>
> I'm not sure to get the syntax right, but in the new exporter, you can
> see what is the next or previous element, along with its
> properties. Thus, you can detect when two paragraphs are back to back,
> if they have appropriate :attr_latex properties and if they are enclosed
> in a parent center-block element.
>
> The check could be done at the paragraph level, and, if positive,
> org-odt-paragraph could return the <draw:fram
> draw:style....>...</draw:frame> string.
>
> Am I missing something?

On a related note,

* Example

This
is
single
# some comment
paragraph.

This
is
another
#+attr_odt: t
paragraph.

if I parse the above buffer, I get

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (paragraph
   (:begin 412 :end 431 :contents-begin 412 :contents-end 430 :post-blank 0)
   "This \nis \na\nsingle")
  (comment
   (:begin 431 :end 446 :value "# some comment\n" :post-blank 0))
  (paragraph
   (:begin 446 :end 459 :contents-begin 446 :contents-end 456 :post-blank 2)
   "paragraph.")
  (paragraph
   (:begin 459 :end 477 :contents-begin 459 :contents-end 476 :post-blank 0)
   "This \nis \nanother")
  (paragraph
   (:begin 477 :end 502 :contents-begin 491 :contents-end 501 :post-blank 0
:attr_odt
              ("t"))
   "paragraph.")
#+end_src

I see that the new export engine treats comment and control lines as par
breakers. The backends that are in production treats the first paragraph
as but a single paragraph.

There is already a way by which parbreaks can be introduced. Do you
think there could be some useful behaviour achieved - side by side
export of images came up in this thread - by not having commented
elements introduce parbreaks.

I am only brainstorming here. I hope the examples and use-case taken up
here help steer our discussion in a meaningful manner.