Re: [O] how do scientists use org mode?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] how do scientists use org mode?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:35:18 -1000

Aloha Christoph,

Welcome to Org Mode.

I'm an archaeologist who has found Org mode to be a great help in my
scientific work.  I use it as a laboratory notebook, a project planner,
a platform for carrying out statistical analyses, and a tool for putting
together compendia for reproducible research projects.

I prefer to put everything for one project in a project-specific Org
mode file, with a structure something like this:

* Introduction
* Results
* Conclusions
* Laboratory notebook  :noexport
* Project plan :noexport
* Statistical analysis :noexport

In this hypothetical example, the first three headlines hold the
publication, which will be exported to LaTeX.  The last three headlines
are not exported, but set up spaces to accomplish different kinds of
work.

In one case, I use the publication facility of Org mode to create a web
site that tracks a long running data entry project.  Blocks of R code
summarize the data entry with tables and graphs.  I update this
periodically so that the members of the team can see where we're at and
spot data entry errors.

I don't make anywhere near full use of Org Mode's capabilities, but find
that I am (by my own standards, at least) insanely productive in this
environment.  It is flexible enough that I feel free to add information,
knowing I can reorganize later without difficulty.  It is structured
enough that I don't waste time looking for things.  Even at the early
stages of a project, when the best organization hasn't crystallized yet,
it is easy enough to identify bits and pieces so they can be easily
found later.

hth,
Tom

--